1136 Lane Hall
204 S. State Street
Ann Arbor, MI
A Juried Exhibition
Call for Art
Our understandings of gender have shifted dramatically in recent decades. No longer is gender a matter of an immutable binary, or a set of predetermined preferences and predilections. This exhibition—the first of its kind—both celebrates and interrogates the visual aspects of the re-imaging of gender.
To celebrate our 20th anniversary, IRWG invites graduate students to submit up to two works on paper and similar flat canvases for inclusion in Re-imaging Gender, a competitive, juried exhibition.
Visit callforentry.org to learn more.
Submission deadline: October 1, 2014
Click below for more information on the call for art.
This exhibition is open to:
- graduate students in all disciplines who are enrolled at colleges, universities, and art schools within the State of Michigan, and
- graduate students in all disciplines who are enrolled at Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC) universities, including:
- Chicago, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Minnesota, Nebraska-Lincoln, Northwestern , Ohio State , Penn State, Purdue, Rutgers, Wisconsin-Madison.
- Artists must submit proof of graduate-student status.
The distinguished jury includes:
- Matthew Biro - chair, U-M History of Art Department
- John Gutoskey - artist, designer, and recent U-M MFA
- Amanda Krugliak - artist and curator, U-M Institute for the Humanities Gallery
- Mark Nielsen (jury chair) - director of exhibitions, UM Stamps School of Art & Design Slusser and Work galleries
- Greg Tom - gallery programs director, Eastern Michigan University Art Department
Selected works will be displayed in the Lane Hall Gallery from January 15 - June 26, 2015.
- One $1,000 prize will be awarded to the winner who demonstrates best creative use of materials, unique interpretations of gender, and visual appeal.
- The winning entry gains a permanent home in the Lane Hall Gallery collection.
- The winner will receive round-trip transportation and lodging to attend the exhibition opening, planned for Thursday, January 15, 2015.
- Three honorable mentions of $300 each will also be awarded.
October 1, 2014
Online submission deadline
November 10, 2014
Award Notification: Semifinalists notified
By December 1, 2014
Semifinalists' works to arrive on University Ann Arbor campus
December 8, 2014
Winner and Honorable Mentions announced
January 15, 2015
Exhibition Opening Reception
January 15 - June 26, 2015
By August 3, 2015
Semifinalists' artwork returned upon close of exhibit no later than August 3, 2015
- Submissions must be made online at: callforentry.org
- Entries must be works on paper or similar flat canvases
- Submitted works should have maximum dimensions of 6 x 4 feet, with up to three images per submission.
- Submission deadline is October 1, 2014.
Additional information and details to be provided with your submission:
- Your name as you wish to be identified in the show
- Name of your department and university, and proof of graduate-student status
- Title of the Artwork
- Year of Completion
- A short 75-word statement describing the artwork and why it is relevant to the theme. This description will appear on the exhibition label.
- All artworks should be framed, using Plexiglas, with D rings for hanging.
- Artists should choose a shipper of their own choice and are responsible for handling round-trip postage and insurance. All shipping charges, up to a maximum of $300, will be reimbursed by IRWG when a receipt is provided. No Styrofoam peanuts please.
Complete details and instructions for submitting artwork are available at: www.callforentry.org.
Contact Debra M. Schwartz, Senior Public Relations Representative, at firstname.lastname@example.org.